Thursday, October 11, 2007

Group Homes

I have now been to all four of the group homes. Each of them hold about a dozen people and are used for different purposes, but they all have a wonderful family environment in which it is clear that they feel loved and secure. The first home Abraham and his colleagues started is for boys who for various reasons were at risk of having to live on the street. They live in the house until they finish high school and then depending on their interest and ability, Abs and his friends help them into university or technical training. Many of the boys I met have been there for four years, when they first opened the home. They sang a song for me and to practice their English, they all told me what they wanted to do when they finished school. Their aspirations vary from doctor to pianist to engineer to running a home for kids like the one they lived in. It was encouraging to see that boys who have already been through some of life's hardest circumstances still have passions and plans to pursue their dreams.

In the last two years, they started a similar home for at risk girls. The girls I met had been there for about a year and everyone said they have already come so far. When they first moved in, they were really shy, reserved and unhealthy. The girls I met were beautiful, loving and so energetic. When I was talking to one of the women that stays there, a few of them ran in and pulled me outside to play frisbee, volleyball and jump rope. Then this little 12-year-old told me (partly in broken English and partly with hand gestures) that she wanted to give me a piggy back ride. I told her that wasn't a good idea and tried to get her to play frisbee again. But she was insistent, and thinking that maybe I misunderstood her, she kept trying to demonstrate with other girls and then said, "ok, now you." I was really regretting the fact that my Amharic lessons so far have not included the phrase "I will break you." Even after I gave her a piggyback ride, she would not be denied, so I reluctantly let her try. She was successful for about 3 seconds, I just hope she doesn't look like a question mark next time I see her.

I can't wait to spend more time there and be able to share their stories and sweet faces with all of you. And I will save the other homes for another post.

3 comments:

LB said...

i love that i can picture you laughing and telling the girl you don't want to break her... miss you :)

julie s said...

you're getting some pretty shotty language lessons if they haven't taught you "I will break you" yet...seriously, that's like Amharic 101...

Unknown said...

Keep the updates coming. I love your writing because you are so descriptive...I get a visual as I read your writing. It it is great to hear you are enjoying it besides the jetlag.